Rydal Bushfire Shed (1996)
A comparatively new building for Rydal but the Rydal Bushfire Brigade began in 1939. Its first president was William Harmer, the resident Policeman of Rydal. Until 1996, fire equipment was stored on the local farms. The Rydal Bushfire Brigade is very active and run entirely by volunteers.
Former Rydal Dairy
19 Stacks Rd Rydal. The land where the dairy was located was originally settled in 1838 and the simple cottage is one of Rydal’s early buildings.
When Rydal was a busier place it had a General Store and Post Office now private homes in Bathurst St. The General Store, initially operated by the Cale Family was in business from 1921 to 1972. Postal services were offered in Rydal from 1859. The services were housed in the railway station from 1870 to 1902 then moved around in various stores and houses in the main commercial centre of Rydal. Richard Cale built a residence and post office adjacent to his father Arthur Cale’s store. It ceased operation as a post office in 1994.
The Calesia Guesthouse started operating in 1904 on the corner of Bathurst & Markets Streets and then became the Royal Hotel it was burnt down in 1933. Another hotel that was once in Rydal was known as The Fox under the Hill and very close to where the present railway station is located. There was a butcher shop between the church and the hotel. The cottage set back on this block survived after the butcher’s shop burnt down.
The Bicentennial National Trail which was created in 1988 passes through Rydal the Showground is a designated camping area for those using the Trail.