RYDAL HERITAGE WALK - a self guided tour. Click here to download the brochure
Below is additional information not included in the brochure.
Many of the Rydal buildings have heritage listings. See asterisks.
*This property has a local heritage listing.
** This property has a state heritage listing.
Remember: homes listed are private properties and while you are welcome to view the outside, do not enter the grounds
PLACES OF INTEREST
1. ** RYDAL RAILWAY STATION
(1869.) Rydal was the end of the western line until it was extended to Bathurst in 1876. Goods and passengers were offloaded here and then went by wagon or Cobb & Co Coach to their destination.
2. THE SIGNAL BOX
The first road through Rydal dates from 1832 when Major Mitchell crossed the Cox’s river at a point now covered by Lake Lyell and came down the current Hampton Road. Until 1929 Rydal was on the main road to Bathurst but was bypassed during changes to the Great Western Highway.
3. THE GUARDS VAN
The Rydal Railway Station has always been of great importance to Rydal. This restored rail van, in the former loading dock, represents a significant part of the history of the village. The loading dock was a busy place for all manner of Goods being received and sent from Rydal during the years it was in use.
4. WAR MEMORIALS
There is a World War 1 Memorial on the Railway Station and a World War 2 Memorial at the entrance to the Rydal Show Ground.
5. RYDAL COTTAGE C 1890
This small former worker’s cottage, typical of the era in which it was built, has now been restored and has an extensive garden. Self contained accommodation is available and the cottage is pet friendly.
6. *FORMER POLICE STATION
An escort station was first erected in Rydal in 1850 with cell accommodation. The construction of a brick residence in 1869 gave security for the gold consignments coming under escort from the Turon goldfields. The last policeman, William Harmer, left in 1942. The separate building at the back was the office.
7. *RYDAL MOUNT- FORMER RYDAL SCHOOL. (1869)
The school residence 1876-7 and by 1892 the grounds were enclosed to reduce access for kangaroos and cattle.
8: *THE UNION CHURCH (1899)
Was built in the late 19th Century Carpenter’s Gothic Style for the Anglican, Presbyterian and Methodists, hence the title Union Church.
9. *ALEXANDER HOTEL. (21.01,1914)
On the site of a former hotel known as the Commercial Hotel, which was licensed from 1868 and burnt down in 1903. There was a brief use of the hotel for the documentary “A Steam Train Passes” produced by Anthony Buckley and made in 1974.
10. GREG FEATHERSTONE PARK, BATHURST STREET: (2000)
This park was built on Railway land as a community project complete with picnic facilities and named after Greg Featherstone who was a long serving staff member of the Rydal Railway Station.
11. PIONEERS PARK MARKET ST.
This is a Rydal Village Association initiative where Crown Land has been turned into a landscaped park and picnic area.
12. *ROSE COTTAGE (C1860)
Cartwright Street is the oldest remaining cottage in Rydal. Restoration began in 1999. The front part was the scullery and wash house and was separate from the main house. The cottage can be seen in the Historic Photograph of Rydal in front of Rydal Mount.
13. *ST MATTHEW’S CHURCH (1869)
Cartwright Street was designed by the well-known Bathurst architect Edward Gell. It is built from local stone in a modified Gothic style with narrow lancet windows. New windows were installed in 2007.
14. *RYDAL SHOWGROUND
Buildings were constructed at various stages since 1921 on community recreation land, which once included tennis courts and a cricket pitch.
15. *RYDAL CEMETERY
Is in a bushland setting about 500m from the main centre of Rydal. It is enclosed with a post and wire fence with wooden picket gates.
16. **CHAPEL HOUSE
This property, located about a kilometre from the centre of the village, has had several lives.
SIGNIFICANT VILLAGE PLAQUES
OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST